Things to do in Waco, Texas


Before the craziness of COVID-19 started, my friend and I headed to Waco for a quick day trip over Spring Break. We left super early in the morning so we could get to Magnolia Market around opening time. We didn't want to get stuck in any crowds. We spent the day hanging out in Waco and did so many fun things. Even learning some new things while there. There will be a list at the bottom of all the things we didn't have time to do this trip but will definitely make time for in the future.

Attractions


Magnolia Market:
If you want to hear all about Magnolia Market specifically, click HERE to read that post. I won't be going into any detail about Magnolia here since I have a whole post dedicated to it. We had so much fun looking around at all the things we would get if we had our own houses. Since we are both college students, there wasn't much that my friend and I needed. We both ended up buying a candle though, and I bought a cute magnet. Also, all the food we tried here was amazing!

The Silos Baking Co. at Magnolia Market. The baked goods here are so good!

Dr. Pepper Museum:
This was right around the corner from Magnolia, and it was very interesting. The  museum shows the history of soda in general along with the history of the Dr. Pepper Company. There was a demonstration that we watched called Fantastic Flavors in the Liquid Laboratory. At the end, we got to try a flavor that the whole group voted on. I believe ours was dessert pear. With a student ID, college students get a discount on admission, and everyone gets a free cup of Dr. Pepper from the soda fountain.

The outside of the Dr. Pepper Museum. This building was partially destroyed by an F5 tornado in 1953, but they kept the original architecture where possible when fixing it. There is a line on the other side of the building where you can see the difference in the bricks.

Waco Mammoth National Monument:
This ended up being mine and my friend's favorite thing we did. We almost didn't go here at all, but when we couldn't find parking at the Mayborn Museum Complex at Baylor University, we decided to go here instead. I never thought that I would see mammoth fossils in real life, and it was fascinating! They are humongous. There were some other fossils found in the area as well. The people who work there are very knowledgeable about the whole dig site, and they were able to answer every question I had. The Waco Mammoth National Monument also had student pricing. I am so glad we decided to come here instead of our original plan. I learned so much! This is the top thing I suggest if you're going to Waco. 

One of the mammoths at the Waco Mammoth National Monument. This was the biggest one there.

Shopping

Little Shop on Bosque:
Magnolia would obviously fall under this category, but I won't put it twice. The Little Shop on Bosque is the original Magnolia location that the Gaines opened. Now, this location is the clearance shop. It has slightly damaged, but still usable, merchandise and discontinued items at a deep discount. For example, I bought my candle here that was from the fall or winter collection. After buying my magnet at the main location, they gave me a card that would give me an additional 10% off at the Little Shop on Bosque. They don't always have this promotion. Like all the items sold at Magnolia, everything here was super cute, and the prices were amazing.

Outside the Little Shop on Bosque.

Courtney's:
This was a boutique that my friend's mom suggested we go to. They had super cute clothes and accessories. There were many things that I wanted to try on, but I only got one dress.

Spice Village:
Spice Village can be described as a big building full of boutique booths. Instead of these boutiques have their own section of the store. There hundreds of different items for people with all different interests. I saw clothes, decor, gift items, toys, and many other things.

Fabled Bookshop & Cafe:
This is one of the cutest bookshops I've seen. They have an awesome mural outside and a cafe inside too. We didn't get anything here, but I saw so many books I wanted. Sadly, I have too many I need to read right now before buying more. I love finding bookstores when traveling, and I will definitely come back here.

I love this mural outside Fabled Bookshop & Cafe.

Food

Food Trucks at Magnolia:
I discuss the Magnolia food trucks more in depth in my Magnolia Market post, but in short, everything we tried was super yummy! I wanted to try everything I saw.

Double Dave's:
This was one of my favorite restaurants before they closed my location when I was in high school. When I saw there was one in Waco, I told my friend that we had to eat dinner at the buffet here. Double Dave's is a pizza place that has a buffet certain nights every week. My favorite things here are dessert pizza, Philly cheese steak stromboli, and cheese pizza. I'm pretty boring so I prefer plain cheese pizza, but I've liked everything I've tried here except for a couple of their more interesting pizzas.

Next Time
  • Mayborn Museum Complex
  • The bear habitat on the Baylor University Campus
  • George's
  • Homestead Heritage
  • Magnolia Table
  • Texas Rangers Museum
 Click HERE for my post about Magnolia Market!

I hope I've given you some ideas on what to do in Waco! If you liked this post, please share it on your favorite social media platform. Don't forget to follow us on Pinterest HERE and Instagram @happyclassyandsassy!

Pin Me!!!





Comments

Popular Posts